Red-Eyed Tree Frog

Latori_web

“G-day, mate!” That’s all the Australian I know.

In nature, when animals, fish, or insects are a bright color, one word should come to mind: Poison. Predators should beware! Eating this creature could ruin your day or life. Even Monarch Butterflies: graceful, floaty, dainty, flitting about from flower to flower: poisonous to eat. It’s a pretty good rule of thumb: if a creature is brightly colored, don’t eat it.

Some brightly colored animals, like the Red-Eyed Tree Frog, but are not poisonous or venomous. If a predator spots them, they may not eat them, based on past experience with similarly colored food. The Tree Frog  has adapted a defense that mimics poisonous animals without actually tasting yucky. Plus, when a Red-Eyed Tree Frog closes it’s eyes (bright red-orange with a horizontal pupil) and tucks in it’s arms, legs, and feet, it’s really difficult to see against the bright canopy leaves of the rain forest.

“Hoo Roo, Mate!”

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.