Red-Eyed Tree Frog

Latori_web

“G-day, mate!” That’s all the Australian I know.

In nature, when animals, fish, or insects are a bright color, one word should come to mind: Poison. Predators should beware! Eating this creature could ruin your day or life. Even Monarch Butterflies: graceful, floaty, dainty, flitting about from flower to flower: poisonous to eat. It’s a pretty good rule of thumb: if a creature is brightly colored, don’t eat it.

Some brightly colored animals, like the Red-Eyed Tree Frog, but are not poisonous or venomous. If a predator spots them, they may not eat them, based on past experience with similarly colored food. The Tree Frog  has adapted a defense that mimics poisonous animals without actually tasting yucky. Plus, when a Red-Eyed Tree Frog closes it’s eyes (bright red-orange with a horizontal pupil) and tucks in it’s arms, legs, and feet, it’s really difficult to see against the bright canopy leaves of the rain forest.

“Hoo Roo, Mate!”